McEwen Mining (TSX: MUX) said this week it is pleased to report rich gold assay results from its Black Fox Mine near Timmins, Ontario, Canada.
Sylvain Guerard, Senior Vice President Exploration, commented: “For a mine with a history of producing 5 g/t gold, these drill assay results are very encouraging. These results highlight the significant potential of our exploration to extend the mine life at Black Fox and improve its profitability. Our geologists are building an improved geologic model of the Black Fox deposit that should allow us to grow our resources through near-mine exploration and enable more effective mine planning. We have a large and exciting year of exploration ahead of us.”
During Q1, drilling focused on expanding known mineralized trends in proximity to existing mining areas:
laterally along the Mine’s Western Flank and Central Mine, and
2) down-plunge at the Deep Central Zone below the 820 m level.
Drilling in the Western Flank area was designed to assess the economic potential of several Quartz-Carbonate stockwork vein systems occurring adjacent to the western extents of historic mining blocks within the 335-355 m Level, and to follow-up on an isolated historical high-grade hit of 3,884 g/t Au over 0.4 m (124.9 opt Au over 1.3 ft.) core length (CL). Significant intercepts of high-grade gold mineralization include (see Table 1):
- 34.77 g/t Au over 2.65 m estimated true width (TW) from Hole # 300-EX007-08;
- 396.46 g/t Au over 1.81 m TW including 1,175.00 g/t Au over 0.6 m TW from Hole #300-EX012-26 (see photo on Figure 2);
- 245.55 g/t Au over 1.27 m TW including 402.00 g/t Au over 0.77 m TW from Hole #300-EX006-16.
Drilling in the Central Mine area occurred from a staging point within the centrally-located 740 m Level development (see Figure 1). This campaign was initiated in order to increase confidence in the dimensions and continuity of gold mineralization, associated with the complex network of veining interpreted as the down-plunge extension of the High-Quartz vein, between the 640-700 m Level. Several encouraging intercepts were reported, including:
- 30.64 g/t Au over 2.99 m TW from Hole #740-L272-16 was very encouraging interval made up of 8 consecutive 1-metre samples (composited to 8 m CL).
Deep Central Zone
The first phase of the exploration tunnel on the 810 m Level of the Mine is now complete, and is providing a suitable drilling platform to target the deposit at depth, below existing development at the 820 m Level. Several encouraging intercepts have been returned from seven drill holes completed including high-grade results:
- 51.50 g/t Au over 0.95 m TW from Hole #810-EX252-07;
- 6.61 g/t Au over 3.66 m TW in a series of quartz stringers in Hole #810-EX252-08;
- 23.40 g/t Au over 0.99 m TW from Hole #810-EX252-06.
Additional step-out drilling in the Deep Central Ore Zone is planned for the second quarter, said the company release.